We want to take this opportunity to address a topic that we know is important to you - data limits on your Straight Talk plan.
You may have heard rumors online that there is a hard cap of 1.5GB for data on Straight Talk. We want to clear this up for you right away: We are NOT cutting off data at 1.5GB on Straight Talk. The data limit in reference only applies to Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP™) AT&T-compatible SIMs on our sister brand, NET10. In fact, most of our customers enjoy their unlimited data plans with no issues or complaints regarding their data speeds or service. Please see sections seven and eight of Straight Talk’s terms and conditions for full details.
Still worried about your data usage? Here are a few tips to help you conserve your data:
- Connect to WiFi whenever possible to avoid using data entirely. WiFi Finder can help you discover open WiFi networks.
- Close applications that are not in use (this can save your battery, too!).
- Turn off auto-updates for apps or change the settings to update over WiFi only.
- Turn off automatic photo uploading or change the settings to upload over WiFi only.
- Turn off push “as items arrive” email. Instead, set your email account to sync every hour or longer.
- Browse mobile friendly websites instead of full webpages, which use more data to view.
- Use apps that help you manage data. In Android 4.0 or later, you can set limits and alerts on your usage. Otherwise, you can download 3rd party apps for Android and iOS such as:
- Onavo – iOS/Android
- Data Usage - iOS
Questions? Leave a comment below.
The Straight Talk Team